“No matter what accomplishments you make, somebody helped you.” Althea Gibson
Althea Gibson, American tennis player and professional golfer is born.
Althea Gibson was an American tennis player and professional golfer, and the first black athlete to cross the color line of international tennis. On August 22, 1950 Althea Gibson was the first black player to make their debut at the US Open. In 1956, she became the first person of color to win a Grand Slam title. On July 6, 1957 Althea Gibson wins the Wimbledon championships and becomes the first black athlete to do so in the 80-year history of the tournament.
Althea Gibson – American Tennis Player – Associated Links:
- Althea Gibson | Biography.com: https://www.biography.com/people/althea-gibson-9310580
- Althea Gibson | HISTORY:https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/althea-gibson
- Althea Gibson | International Tennis Hall of Fame: https://www.tennisfame.com/hall-of-famers/inductees/althea-gibson/
- Althea Gibson | ESPN.com: https://www.espn.com/sportscentury/features/00014035.html
- Althea Gibson | Britannica.com: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Althea-Gibson
- Althea Gibson | The Black Past Remembered and Reclaimed: http://www.blackpast.org/aah/gibson-althea-1927-2003
- “Pioneer Althea Gibson to be immortalized with US Open Statue” | U.S. Open: https://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2018-02-27/2018-02-27_pioneer_althea_gibson_to_be_immortalized_with_us_open_statue.html
- “American Masters” | PBS: https://www.pbs.org/video/american-masters-althea/
- “Althea Gibson Broke Barriers” | ESPN: https://www.espn.com/sportscentury/features/00014035.html
- “Althea Gibson | The “she-ro” who inspired tennis to change” | CNN: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/02/sport/tennis/us-open-althea-gibson-tennis/index.html
- “Tennis Legend Althea Gibson To Be Honored With Statue at U.S. Open Site: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tennis-althea-gibson-statue-us-open_us_5a95bbf0e4b07dffeb6cf968
- Althea Gibson | Quotes: https://www.thoughtco.com/althea-gibson-quotes-3529144
Disclaimer: This content was prepared by the author in her personal capacity. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, opinion, or position of their employer.