“You must come to terms with the reality that nothing outside ourselves, be it people or things, is actually responsible for our happiness” Mary Walker Edwards
Mary Edwards Walker American Surgeon was born.
Mary Edwards Walker was a women’s rights advocate who adopted the “Bloomer” dress reform in the 1850’s and as of 2017 is the only woman to win the Congressional Medal of Honor. The honor was given for services in the Civil War including treating patients in the South. An active suffragist she left Medicine after the war.
Mary Edwards Walker – American Surgeon – Associated Links:
- Mary Edwards Walker | Changing the Face of Medicine: https://cfmedicine.nlm.nih.gov/physicians/biography_325.html
- Mary Edwards Walker | Biography.com: https://www.biography.com/people/mary-walker-9522110
- Mary Edwards Walker | Center oF Military History: https://history.army.mil/news/2016/160200a_maryEdwardsWalker.html
- “How a Woman Won the Medal of Honor 150 Years Before She Could Serve in Combat” | Time.com: http://time.com/4235358/mary-edwards-walker/
- “Mary Edwards Walker: The Only Woman to Receive the Medal of Honor” | NBC news: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/mary-edwards-walker-only-woman-receive-medal-honor-n111596
- Mary Edwards Walker | American Civil War.com | https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/mary-edwards-walker-only-woman-receive-medal-honor-n111596
- Quotes by Mary Edwards Walker: http://www.azquotes.com/author/23198-Mary_Edwards_Walker
Link to Photo Credit: Mary Edwards Walker
Disclaimer: This content was prepared by the author in her personal capacity. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, opinion, or position of their employer.