“Art and nature shall always be wrestling until they eventually conquer one another so that the victory is the same stroke and line: that which is conquered, conquers at the same time.” Maria Merian
Maria Merian German Naturalist is born.
Maria Sibylla Merian was a German-born naturalist and scientific illustrator, a descendant of the Frankfurt branch of the Swiss Merian family, founders of one of Europe’s largest publishing houses in the 17th century.
Maria Merian – Naturalist – Associated Links:
- Maria Merian | Britannica: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Maria-Sibylla-Merian
- Maria Merian | Botanical Art & Artists: https://www.botanicalartandartists.com/about-maria-sibylla-merian.html
- “A Pioneering Woman of Science Re-Emerges After 100 Years” | The New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/23/science/maria-sibylla-merian-metamorphosis-insectorum-surinamensium.html
- “The Woman Who Made Science Beautiful” | The Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/01/the-woman-who-made-science-beautiful/424620/
- Maria Marian | Book: http://www.sibyllamerian.com
- Maria Marian | National Museum of Women in the Arts: https://nmwa.org/explore/artist-profiles/maria-sibylla-merian
- “Maria Marian: artist whose passion for insects changed science” | The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/science/grrlscientist/2013/apr/02/maria-sibylla-merian-artist-insects-science
- “The Amazing Life and Work of Maria Sybilla Merian” |Atlas Obscura: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/maria-sibylla-merian-artist-insects-flowers
- Maria Marian | Quotes: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/maria_sibylla_merian
Disclaimer: This content was prepared by the author in her personal capacity. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, opinion, or position of their employer.