Grace Annie Lockhart graduated from Mount Allison University, becoming the first woman in the British Empire to earn a university degree.
Grace Annie Lockhart was the first woman in the British Empire to receive a Bachelor’s degree. She formally enrolled in Mount Allison University in Sackville, New Brunswick, Canada in 1874 and graduated with a degree of Bachelor of Science and English Literature on 25 May 1875. Although her later life was spent in a more conventional role, as the wife of the Methodist minister J.L. Dawson, Lockhart’s academic achievement as a student provided clear evidence of the justice of women’s claim to full rights in the field of higher education.
Grace Annie Lockhart – Associated Links:
- Grace Annie Lockhart Biography | The Canadian Encyclopedia: http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/grace-annie-lockhart/
- Grace Annie Lockhart | Section15ca.: http://section15.ca/features/people/2004/06/02/grace_lockhart/
- Grace Annie Lockhart | Prezi: https://prezi.com/3tr1kv3lseyr/grace-annie-lockhart/
- Grace Annie Lockhart | Tantramar Historic Sites: https://heritage.tantramar.com/hs19_1875.html
- “One hundred years after Grace Lockhart” | The Argosy: http://www.since1872.ca/news/one-hundred-years-after-grace-lockhart/
- “Grace Annie Lockhart- a Mount Allison and Canadian Heroine” | Sackville Tribune-Post: http://www.sackvilletribunepost.com/living/grace-annie-lockhart-a-mount-allison-and-canadian-heroine-88393/
- “OPINION: Grace Lockhart led the way for women at universities” | Herald Opinions: http://thechronicleherald.ca/opinion/1365334-opinion-grace-lockhart-led-the-way-for-women-at-universities
Disclaimer: This content was prepared by the author in her personal capacity. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, opinion, or position of their employer.