Loretta Perfectus Walsh, the first American active-duty Navy woman is born.
Loretta Perfectus Walsh became the first American active-duty Navy woman, the first woman to enlist in the U.S. Navy, and the first woman allowed to serve as a woman in any of the United States armed forces, as anything other than as a nurse, when she enlisted in the U.S. Naval Reserve on March 17, 1917. Walsh subsequently became the first woman U.S. Navy petty officer when she was sworn in as Chief Yeoman on March 21, 1917.
Loretta Perfectus Walsh – American naval officer – Associated Links:
- Loretta Perfectus Walsh | America Comes Alive: https://americacomesalive.com/2011/03/03/loretta-walsh-1896-1925/
- Loretta Perfectus Walsh | The United States Navy Memorial: http://navylog.navymemorial.org/walsh-loretta
- Loretta Perfectus Walsh | Academy Women: http://www.academywomen.org/inspirationalleadersdetails.php?ilid=34
- “Walsh: First Woman to Enlist in the U.S. Navy | The Navy Yard: https://www.navyyard.org/theyardblog/2019/03/06/loretta-walsh-first-woman-to-enlist-in-the-u-s-navy/
- “Sailors Honor Life and Legacy of First Female CPO” | Navy: http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=59573
- “Celebrating the First Enlisted Women” | U.S. Department of Defense: https://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/1127379/celebrating-the-first-enlisted-women/
- “Loretta Perfectus Walsh: A “Dream-catcher” for Military Women” | Women in the Military: Their Support on and off the Battlefield: http://kebuzz.web.unc.edu/2015/02/17/loretta-perfectus-walsh-a-dream-catcher-for-military-women/
- “March 21, 1917: Loretta Perfectus Walsh Enlists in the Navy” | Almost Chosen People: https://almostchosenpeople.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/march-21-1917-loretta-perfectus-walsh-enlists-in-the-navy/
Disclaimer: This content was prepared by the author in her personal capacity. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, opinion, or position of their employer.